Thursday, April 17, 2014

Smile....no really, Smile.

I have always been a firm believer in the power of smiling. I think that God created the "smile" as a reminder that no matter what is happening there is still something to be happy about. We are meant to smile. Smiling was one of the first things my dad remembered how to do. It was the first thing that we could ask my dad to do and he would respond to, with a BIG HUGE SMILE.


Last night my phone rang, when I answered I heard the sweetest sound I have heard in a month and a half, it was my dad on the phone, he said "Hello Amy." Tears welled up in my eyes in unexpected joy. Its the little things we take for granted, like a simple phone call from your Pa. The next few minutes following he was trying to tell me something, but he still mumbles a lot and sometimes you have NO idea what he is saying. He is still kind of confused, he called his wife his ex-wife's name (gulp ;) Thank goodness our family (including his fabulous wife) have good senses of humor. When I was up there a couple weeks ago, he actually Meow'd......like a cat......he hates cats.


Last night I had a dream that I was sitting around a campfire talking to my dad and he was 100% perfect. I woke up crying. I miss my dad. But I am grateful for faith, hope, and medical advancements. I am thankful that my dad has a wonderful wife who can put her whole life on hold to sit by his side every single day. I am thankful for priesthood blessings and the knowledge I have of the Plan of Salvation. I am thankful that I KNOW that our Father In Heaven is mindful of my dad and watching out for him, and has a plan for him. I am thankful for tender mercies like random phone calls from my dad even if all I can understand is "Hello Amy." I am thankful for how close this experience has brought my family, and I am extremely thankful for my most fabulous dad!
 
{To donate to help my dad click here }

No comments: