Thursday, April 17, 2014

2014....the year of the Dad

As I am sure many of you have heard, My dear dad has a rough couple months. Many people have asked us how they can help, so this online fundraiser has been set up to direct people to, who would like to make a donation to help my Dad and his
wonderful  wife Ann. My dad had planned on returning to work after his recovery from the original "simple Valve replacement" heart surgery. They were not prepared for such a traumatic turn of events. My Dad is stable now and is In the "Promises" facility in Salt Lake. He has hit some great milestones physically this last week such as getting the feeding tube removed (actually he pulled it out, then they decided to keep it out haha), he took a couple steps with the nurse, and they removed the drain tube from his lung. If you feel can help us with this fundraiser by donating or just by simply spreading the word I would be forever grateful. I love you all. Thank you so much for all of your care and concern during these last couple months. The love that me and my family have felt has been so humbling. We love you all and we have faith and hope that more positive updates will follow.
 
 
So.... I have decided to revive the blog.....again. But this time I have unselfish reasons to blog again, I want to keep a record of things going on with my dad. I am kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner because soooooo much has happened and I have had soooooo many feelings and emotions I wish I would have kept record of but......anywhoo. Here is the "Official" event timeline for my dad. Then I MIGHT go back and re-live each milestone so I can jot down my thoughts if I remember them. Or I will just start from here and update as I can :)

On February 24th 2014 Korran "Corky" Smart went into surgery for a valve replacement in his heart. What was supposed to be a fairly simple surgery, turned into a complete nightmare for corky and his family. Corky came out of open heart surgery after replacing  a valve, fixing a newly discovered hole in his heart, and a double bypass fairly well. He went home 5 days later.  After struggling to catch his breath, even on oxygen, he was re-admitted and transported an hour away from his home.

It was discovered that his heart was in AFib rhythm and fluid was collecting around his left lung. He now had a trapped lung.

On March 18th 2014 Corky was walking with the physical therapist when he said he wasnt feeling well. They returned to his room where he went into Cardiac Arrest. For 26 minutes the doctors and nurses fought to get Corky back. He spent the next 6 days in ICU and came out fighting with a newly installed pace maker.

Corky was still struggling to catch his breath, they now discovered there was fluid around both lungs. The Doctors determined he would need surgery to release his trapped lung and drain the fluid.

On March 27th 2014 Corky went in for yet another surgery. As they put the Ventilator in place Corky went into Cardiac Arrest again. For 10 minutes they fought to get Corky back. They stabilized him and completed the surgery, draining 5 liters of fluid from his lungs. However, things wouldnt progress as well this time.

Corky was in coma on life support for 4 days before opening his eyes. He wasn't able to follow commands, talk or breath on his own. Corky sustained a serious brain injury (Encephalopathy) during his last cardiac arrest.

On April 8th Corky was transported to an Ltach Hospital (Long Term Critical Care Rehabilitations Hopital) 2 hours further from his home. He is able to speak now but is very confused and cannot remember most of his life or the people in it.  It will be a very long recovery process for Corky and his family.
 
 

No comments: